lunes, 28 de enero de 2008

Corset

For the corset I used a Butterick pattern, the number 4254:
As you can see, there are four possible patterns and I chose the one in the first column, second row. I had to make some changes in the original pattern. First, the front part is divided into two pieces in the original, so that you do not have to remove the lace on your back each time you want to wear the corset. For this, the front part is divided into two sections linked by something called "busk". However, for my gown, and as in the corset that Portman wears, the front part is one piece, so this is the first change I introduced.
Como se puede ver, hay cuatro patrones posibles y yo escogí el de abajo a la izquierda. Tenía que hacer algunos cambios al patrón. Primero, la pieza central del corset está dividida en dos para no tener que desabrocharlo por la espalda cada vez que te lo quieras quitar. Para ello, la parte de delante está dividida y se une con una pieza que se llama "busk" y para la que no he encontrado traducción. Sin embargo, para mi traje, como en corset que lleva Portamn, la pieza central no está dividida, así que la dejé como una sola.

Second. This is the...fifth corset I make and I've noticed that using these patterns you get corset which are a bit short. Then, what I did was to lengthen the pattern, more or less 8 centimetres. When I first made the corset for this gown a year ago, it was really short and I didn't like the way it looked, so, when doing the second version, I decided to make it longer, just as the one Portman wears.
Segundo, este es el...quinto corset que hago y me he dado cuenta de que usando los patrones, los crset suelen quedar cortos. Así que he alargado el patrón 8 cm. Cuando hice el corset para el traje hace un año quedó muy corto y no me gustó nada el resultado, así que para esta segunda versión lo he alargado para que quede como el de Portman.

Making a corset is not so difficult as it seems, but if you want it to be fine, you have to work a lot. You have to use a lot of fabric. For this corset I was supposed to use four layers of fabric. However, as the main one was something similar to leather I thought three layers would be enough, besides when you put the boning, the structure gets very hard. Then, my corset has three layers. The one you see is something similar to leather. The one you can see if the corset is not being worn is something like satin and the one in the middle, well, I am not sure because I had it at home an I did not want to buy new fabric for interfacing. A photograph may be useful:
Hacer un corset no es tan difícil como puede parecer, pero si quieres que quede bien, implica mucho trabajo. Tienes que usar mucha tela. Para este corset se supone que tenía que usar cuatro capas de tela. Sin embargo, como la principal es cuero, pensé que con tres capas sería suficiente, además, cuando le pones las ballenas (es decir, las estructuras de plástico que llevan los corsets) el corset queda bastante tieso. Así que mi corset tien tres capas. La primera es cuero o algo que se le parece. La capa de dentro es satén negro y la del medio, bueno, pues no lo sé muy bien porque la tenía por casa y no quería comprar más tela para usarla de entretela. La foto es útil:

On the left you can see the satin fabric, and on the right the one that is used for interfacing. There is a third kind of fabric used, the one with which I have done casing for the boning. Though the corset is not finished yet, I post a photograph of it, this is the front view:
A la izquierda se ve el satén y a la derecha la tela que va en el meido. Hay un tercer tipo de tela, la que he usado para hacer las fundas de las ballenas. Aunque el corset no está terminado aún pongo esta foto de frente:
Well, it is very dark, I will try to take a better shot and post it. Maybe it is impossible to notice that, but this corset has 11 pieces, each piece has three layers of fabric and there are 12 pieces of boning in it. Therefore, the amount of work is huge!
Ha quedado oscura y no se ve muy bien. Quizá es imposible de ver, pero el corset está formado por 11 secciones, cada una con tres capas de tela y lleva 12 ballenas. Así que el trabajo es bastante.

I bought the pattern in this site. However, you can also buy it in the official site of Butterick and I am sure you can find it in eBay. The site I bought the pattern in has a lot of information regarding corsets and everything necessary to make one, from fabric and bias to boning and wire.
Compré el patrón en Vena Cava Designs, pero también se puede comprar en la página oficial de Butterick y sgeuro que está en eBay. La página donde lo compré tiene mucha información sobre corsets y todo lo necesario para hacer uno, desde telas hasta bieses y varios tipos de ballenas.

No hay comentarios: